How does a holiday that was originally meant to be a celebration of love get to be about anything but love? So I might not be the most romantic person in the world. Titanic made me laugh and I’ve never made it to the end of Love Story. I am not a roses and candles type of girl(but bring on the chocolates!). But I can’t get Valentine’s Day!
History time(‘cause what’s more fun then a history lesson?). In roman times, the 15th February was dedicated to a fertility ritual, Lupercalia. Actually the whole period between mid-January and mid-February was the month of Gamelion(frightening that I know that, right?). But then came Chaucer and he brought the first connection between Valentine’s Day and romantic love. And everything went downhill from there.
Ok, so I have nothing against celebrating love. It’s nice and poetic(and one of the most important days for commerce). The fact that love is basically many hormones working in overdrive and creating an effect similar to that of amphetamines doesn’t seem to bother people so go ahead, spend your money however you want. Not my problem. What bugs me to no end is that lately it seems that we have to buy gifts or at least a card for every damn person that has crossed our path more then twice in the last year. Buy presents for your mother, your father, your children, your best friend, the milkman, the mailman, hell!, buy a card for the lady that works at the store where you bought all your cards. Ok, I get it, it’s nice, you care about them but come on! Gah! Have I missed the announcement that it has changed from being about romantic love to every damn type of love? Did they use one of those planes that write on the sky and I was too busy to look up? Did my letter get lost in the mail? When did it get from one thing to another? And is it just me or is it really creepy to give your kid a card/present? Definitely brings up many weird thought to my sick brain.
And to think that this semi-rant was brought on by a freakin’ message from an idiot that decided to wish me a happy Valentine’s Day.
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Please explain something
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Um...I laughed at Titanic too and I can remember the cinema was full and people were crying and looking at me like I was an idiot. I made it to the end of Love Story but only because I skipped the beginning and the middle part.
Valentine's Day always sucks just like Halloween and other stupid holidays that exist purely for commercial purposes.I never anyone anything for this day,I won't let the merchants win.
Post a Comment