Saturday, April 5, 2008

Creative writing blogroll

Blue

I sit on the coffee table. All day, every day. You might think this is weird if you didn’t know the truth, and the truth is that I am a car. A miniature blue Ford Model T, if you’d like to be specific. I used to belong to a man named Dominic. He was quite a nice guy. But one day he moved out and he left me on Mary’s coffee table, which is where I am now. Again, I’m getting a bit ahead of myself here. Mary is Dominic’s ex-girlfriend. I don’t think she likes me very much but she lets me sit here, minding my own business and dusts me once in a while. Which is all I’m asking for, to be honest. The advantage of being a miniature car that sits on a coffee table is that I get to see what goes on in people’s lives. In Mary’s life, at least. She’s a nice girl only that she’s been sad since Dominic left. I can’t really blame her. I miss him too. I remember the day he brought me home. But I’m getting sidetracked here so I won’t tell you how he pulled me out of the box and looked at me like I was magic and then sat me next to the other cars. No, sir, I won’t get sentimental. I won’t even tell you about my two friends, the red Ford Meteor or the black Thunderbird. I miss them as well. OK, back to what I was saying. Since Dominic left, Mary hasn’t brought home another man, which I have to say is fine by me. I don’t want another man. She did bring a friend and they sat on the couch and watched movies and I even let them put that big and cold bowl of ice cream in front of me because Mary was crying and I didn’t want to make her even sadder. After that she seemed a bit better. She still cries sometimes but only when no one else is around. That is if you don’t count me but I don’t think she knows I’m more then just a car. Oh, and the clock on the wall but he’s not a nice guy. He doesn’t talk to me because I am just a “tiny little car”. I bet he’s French. Stuck up creep.

Please excuse me for a moment but the annoying phone with which I have to share my coffee table is ringing. Can’t he see it’s 2 in the morning? What kind of person calls at this time of night? Mary’s not going to be too pleased with this. Just as I anticipated…she’s walking out of her bedroom and she’s looking really mad. Boy, is the phone going to get it now! Oh, no, she’s crying again! No, Mary, don’t cry…Huh, I guess she heard me because now she’s smiling. She didn’t slam the phone. Weird, she doesn’t look mad anymore. Wait a second, there’s someone at the door.

Dominic! Dominic’s back! He’s back, he’s back, he’s back! Aw, man, I want to cry. Why did the Tin Man get to cry and I don’t? They’re kissing and…Hey, buddy, where are you putting those hands? They look happy.

Maybe now he’ll move all the other cars back and I won’t be alone anymore.

5 comments:

adelina said...

that was so pretty it made me want to have writing skills . It would be interesting to know what objects like that would think of what's going on around them if they were alive(which I know they're not....I'm not that crazy yet).
Anyways ,that was really cool.

Admin said...

Why, thank you :D. I'm pretty sure what my computer would think and that is "No, not the crazy woman again! Give me a break, lady!".

And they're not alive? *Gasps in shock* Shoot, I wish somebody would have told me that sooner.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it. I had fun writing it.

Marie said...

Awww, that was adorable!!

It's amazing how many different directions we're taking these prompts!

Grinningcomb said...

That was really well written.

Anonymous said...

Very cute. And creative. I wouldn't have thought of writing from the car's POV. I love it.