Dear lovely humans,
Looking back on Volume 4, I realized something that pissed me off so much that has to be addressed. Your show is about superheroes. It has so many references to other heroes that my inner nerd is dying of joy. For Pete’s sake, it even has its own comic book.
So could you please not stereotype comic nerds again? When was the last time you walked into a comic book shop? Comics and graphic novels are cool again and they’re not just for pimply teenagers anymore. Why must you perpetuate that myth then? I am not a teenager. I am not pimply. I don’t wear glasses. I don’t masturbate to tentacle-rape porn. I am not a guy. I don’t live in my mother’s basement. And while I’ll admit to being more a graphic novels chick then comic books, you can still find me regularly in the comic books shops around my city. I’m not an expert, nor do I have an impressive collection. Trying to gather one, but times are tough and money is better spent on silly things like food and clothes. However, most of the people I see in the shops are not loser nerds either. Sure, there are some. But most of us don't climax at the thought of touching Summer Glau.
You go to comic-cons, don’t you? Does it seem to you that everyone there looks the same? Times are changing.
Another point: was it really necessary to have every boy in the comic shop drool over Claire? I can assure you most of us have seen women in real life before(I've yet to be poked with a stick by a confused guy asking 'Is she real? You mean women exist outside of the internet?'). We’re there because of a passion. We have good lives that happen to involve(and maybe sometimes revolve around) comic books and graphic novels.
What I am trying to say is that, while there are people that fit the stereotype, the majority doesn’t so please try to keep that in mind, for future reference.
Love,
A graphic novel loving girl(really, I have boobs and everything).
PS: I can prove I am not male. Fly me over and see for yourselves ;)
Unrelated PS: My copy of REST should arrive next week. Hoping it will be good.
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Heroes, you’ve let me down-open letter to the writers of the show
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment