Thursday, January 29, 2009

Welcome to Birmingham...we have nothing

Maybe not nothing. They have a bull.

Exhibit A:



Also a giant building that looks like it's covered in silver M&M's.

Exhibit B:



And a church.

Exhibit C:


And some rather exposed manequins:

Exhibit D:


Ignore the weather. It's British.

For those of you wondering why in heavens I went to Birmingham, the answer is simple. The original manuscript for “On the road” was there on exhibition and since I only read the book like 100 times and am somewhat obsessed with it, I had to go see it. Had to. I would have taken pictures but it was a museum, and while it may as well be a very un-Beat-like thing to do, I had to respect the rules. And there were guards and other people there.

But it was amazing, the manuscript looks awesome and I actually saw Kerouac's scribbles and notes on it. Awe. I was in complete awe. You could even see the parts where the scrolls had been taped together. And I found my favourite passage in the manuscript, which was beyond cool.


They also had a collection of various editions from different countries. I'd be permanently indebted if someone could explain this one to me:

Kinda like a really bad 80's flick, isn't it? A 5-years-later reunion of Grease? Any other ideas? I am confused.

And on that note, I leave you.

"They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn..." s

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ya

Anonymous said...

another think

Admin said...

For the first time I am utterly confused by the comments. Huh?

Anonymous said...

huhuh